Recipe: Perfect Red Velvet Whoopie Pie
Red Velvet Whoopie Pie. I've been meaning to make red velvet whoopie pies for years, so I appreciate you pushing me to do so! Fun fact: Did you know that in western PA, where my in-laws are from, whoopie pies are called gobs? Red Velvet Whoopie Pies have a mild chocolate flavor which comes from adding a small amount of cocoa powder (regular unsweetened or Dutch-processed) to the batter.
They taste really yummy and are cheap to Transcript: Hello, and welcome to "In the kitchen with Matt", I am your host Matt Taylor. Today we are going to make Red Velvet Whoopie Pies. Try our whoopie pies, large red velvet, cake-like sweet sandwiches with a fluffy white filling and a berry bonus! You can have Red Velvet Whoopie Pie using 16 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Red Velvet Whoopie Pie
- You need 295 of Grams Flour.
- It's 30 Grams of Cocoa Powder.
- It's 1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Powder.
- It's 1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Soda.
- It's 1/4 Teaspoon of Salt.
- Prepare 170 Grams of Butter.
- It's 200 Grams of Caster Sugar.
- You need 1 of Easter.
- It's 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Essence.
- Prepare 180 Millilitres of Buttermilk.
- You need 1 Teaspoon of Red Food Color.
- It's 5 Tablespoons of Flour.
- Prepare 1 Cup of Milk.
- It's 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract.
- It's 226 Grams of Butter.
- Prepare 225 Grams of Caster Sugar.
To fill, dollop Whoopie Pie Filling on flat sides of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies, flat sides down. A whoopie pie is quite simply two soft cookies with a creamy filling or frosting sandwiched in between. A classic whoopie pie is a light chocolate cake filled with a vanilla cream or marshmallow filling.
Red Velvet Whoopie Pie step by step
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. Line a cookie tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 4 to 5 mts.
- Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract.
- In a small cup, mix together the buttermilk and the red food coloring.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture (from step 2) and buttermilk mixture (from step 5) alternatively in 3 additions, starting and ending with flour. Mix till no streaks of flour remain.
- Using an ice cream scoop preferably, drop scoops of the batter onto the prepared cookie tray spacing them about 1.5inches apart. With the back of a spoon smooth the top of the batter.
- Bake for 9 to 10 mts. Remove from oven and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- To make the creamy filling, heat the milk on low flame till small bubbles start appearing along the side. Whisk the flour into the milk stirring continuously till it becomes very thick..
- Remove the mixture from the heat and allow to cool completely to room temperature. Once the mixture is cooled completely, stir in the vanilla.
- Cream the butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add the mixture from step 10 and beat until it resembles whipped cream.
- Pipe the creamy filling onto a cooled cookie and sandwich with another cookie.
Red velvet whoopie pies (or gobs, depending on where you live) are filled with cream cheese frosting and are perfect for Valentine's Day dessert! Nothing screams Valentine's Day dessert quite like red velvet, am I right?! It seems that it was created specifically with this holiday in mind. How to make moist and soft red velvet whoopie pies filled with cream cheese filling! These cake-like cookie sandwiches are irresistible!