Recipe: Perfect Koulourakia (Greek butter cookies)
Koulourakia (Greek butter cookies). Koulourakia — The Quintessential Greek Cookie. A "kouloura" (koo-LOU-rah) in Greek is a round twist. The name for these traditional butter cookies comes from their round twisted shape, but you will also see Koulourakia as small braids or in the shape of the letter "S." Koulourakia are delicious dunked in coffee or milk and are the traditional Easter.
Greek butter cookies that are so crisp and buttery. It's a Greek butter cookie and I'm making mine lemon-flavored because they're just out of this world with lemon. You can use any citrus that you have on hand or whatever your favorite citrus is. You can cook Koulourakia (Greek butter cookies) using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Koulourakia (Greek butter cookies)
- Prepare 2 cups of butter.
- It's 2 cups of sugar.
- You need 6 of eggs.
- You need 1 tsp of vanilla.
- You need 8-9 cups of flour, siffed.
- It's 2 tablespoon of baking powder.
- It's 1 of egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water.
- You need of orange zest (optional).
If Italian biscotti were to have a dainty, Greek cousin, it would be koulourakia. Koulourakia, on the other hand are a much smaller, butter cookie that are hand rolled and shaped into fun twisted designs. This is my second posted recipe for koulourakia, which are traditional Greek butter cookies normally served at holidays, particularly Easter, but also Christmas. They come in a variety of shapes, including twists and circles, and the following directions are to make the more common twist form.
Koulourakia (Greek butter cookies) instructions
- Cream butter and gradually beat in sugar. Beats eggs until light; add butter to mixture and beat thoroughly. Add vanilla.
- Sift flour and baking powder. Carefully blend into butter-egg mixture to make a soft dough.
- Shape dough with lightly floured hands into desired shapes and arrange on cooky sheets. Brush cookies with beaten egg and water..
- Bake in 375 F oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown..
A recipe for crunchy Koulourakia Greek butter cookies made with olive oil & scented with orange zest. Don't forget to share this recipe for Koulourakia Greek Butter Cookies by The Greek Glutton. DRUMROLLLLLL PLEEEEASE….the day we've been waiting for has finally arrived! Koulourakia are a traditional Greek dessert, typically made around Easter to be eaten after Holy Saturday. They are a butter-based pastry, traditionally hand-shaped, with egg glaze on top.