Recipe: Delicious Eton Mess-- An English dessert of Meringue, Cream and Strawberries
Eton Mess-- An English dessert of Meringue, Cream and Strawberries. Few desserts say summer like Eton mess. Crunchy meringue, whipped cream and strawberry sauce is a winning combination, best served al fresco. Roughly crush ¾ of the meringues and tip them in with the chopped strawberries and stir, then swirl through the strawberry sauce.
If you want to give your Eton mess a twist why not swap the strawberries for raspberries or blackberries instead for an autumnal version. Eton Mess is a classic British dessert which combines strawberries, cream and meringue. Eton Mess (Strawberry, Cream, and Meringue Trifle). You can cook Eton Mess-- An English dessert of Meringue, Cream and Strawberries using 16 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Eton Mess-- An English dessert of Meringue, Cream and Strawberries
- Prepare 1 of FOR MERINGUE.
- It's 3 large of egg whites at room temperature.
- It's 1/2 cup of granulated sugar.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- It's 1/8 tsp of salt.
- It's 1 of FOR BERRIES.
- You need 1 lb of fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries.
- You need 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, divided use, half will be used for the strained strawberries the other half to sweeten the sliced strawberries and blueberries.
- You need 1 of FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream.
- It's 1/4 cup of confectioners sugar.
- It's 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- It's 1 1/2 tsp of unflavored gelatin.
- You need 1 of FOR GARNISH.
- It's 1/2 cup of chocolate shavings.
This quick and easy traditional English dessert is made from a mixture of whipped cream, strawberries, and meringue - either layered as a trifle or mixed together into a delicious mess. Strawberries, cream, meringues-- really, how could this be bad? Strawberry Eton Mess - Layers of meringue, fresh whipped cream and strawberry sauce, this classic British dessert is easy to throw together Once you have soft, glossy peaks, make sure that all the sugar is completely dissolved. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Eton Mess-- An English dessert of Meringue, Cream and Strawberries step by step
- MAKE MERINGUES.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 275.
- In a large bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks, slowly add sugar, and salt and beat until stiff, add vanilla and beat in. Place 4 mounda of meringue on parchment paper. Smooth out into 1/4 inch rounds leaving a bit of space between them. Bake 1 hour, turn off oven keep door closed and leave until oven is cold, at least 2 hours. Remove from oven, cut between parchment keeping parchment attached and store in air tight containers. (keeping the parchment attached will keep the meringues from breaking until needed). This can be done up to 4 days in advance..
- MAKE BERRIES.
- Place 3/4 of the strawberries in a blender and puree, strain out seeds, add 1/4 cup sugar to them, chill..
- Combine remaing sliced strawberries and blueberries in a bowl, add remaing 1/4 cup sugar and let sit to extract juice than chill..
- The berries can be prepared a day in advance.
- FOR WHIPPED CREAM.
- In a small heatproof bowl add 1 1/2 tablespoons cold water, add gelatin, soften 1 minute than place in a pan of simmering water just until dissolved and clear, remove to use while still liquid..
- In a chilled bowl, whip cream to soft peaks add confectioners sugar, vanilla and liquid gelatin, beat until stiff..
- Add about 1/4 cup of strawberrie puree and fold just to make a streaky look. Chill, because of the gelatin this whipped cream is stable abd should las a day or two..
- TO ASSEMBLE ETON MESS.
- Right before serving, remive meringue from parchment, break into bite size pieces. Place in serving glass add some of the strawberrie blueberrie mix and some whipped cream and very gently fold, top with a bit more whipped cream, garnish with chocolate shavings and pieces of meringue..
This classic English dessert layers meringues with whipped cream and strawberries or bananas. While bananas are a classic Eton mess add-in, dulce de leche is an inspired addition for an English-Latin fusion I'm loving. I like the idea of adding crushed digestive biscuits and sliced almonds. This quintessential British dessert must be included in any list of strawberry recipes. The dessert is quick and easy to make and makes great use of One story is a Labrador dog sat on a picnic basket in the back of a car and squashed a strawberry and meringue dessert.